DIY Pinhole Camera: The Great Pinholio

Pinhole cameras are something I’ve seen lots of photographers use, often to fantastic effect. Making great use of motion blurs, people moving, and the exaggerated wide angle that often accompanies the simplest of cameras. Surprisingly, I’ve never tried my hand at it, but I’ve been seeing so many interesting images created using pinhole cameras (for example, Moni’s Blatherskite blog – some great images produced while wheeling a camera around on a trolley in a library) that I thought I had to give it a go.

Continue reading DIY Pinhole Camera: The Great Pinholio

Konstructor + Redscale = Experimental!

If you’re going to try out a new film or a new camera, you usually do one or the other. This reduces your chance of failure, and gives you the opportunity to assess the film or camera properly (without too many new variables). However, on this occasion I decided to throw myself in at the deep end. A new film (Lomography Redscale) and a new camera, the Lomography Konstructor! The Konstructor is a DIY kit camera – lots of plastic bits you put together yourself.

Continue reading Konstructor + Redscale = Experimental!

“Holslo” DIY Frankencamera: a project by Steve Lloyd

One of the fantastic things about shooting film, is the relatively low cost of our kit. Plastic cameras can give such fun results from so little outlay, that it encourages many people to get extra-creative. Not content with the existing wide-angle offerings on the film market, Steve Lloyd decided to put together something of his own!

Continue reading “Holslo” DIY Frankencamera: a project by Steve Lloyd

Recesky TLR – DIY camera

Aaaaages ago I bought a Recesky TLR from eBay for about a tenner. It’s a tiny TLR in kit firm, that takes 35mm film. Today I thought I’s actually sit down and make it!

Ooh. Err…. hmm. That’s a lot of bits. I needed a tiny Philips screwdriver and some tweezers for fiddly bits, but that’s all. Had a look at the manual:

Aha! Chinese! Shame I don’t speak it, but the drawings were quite clear, so I did ok. It took me about an hour and a half to put together, the only thing I got stuck with was the shutter mechanism. For anyone who has problems with this, see below:

The middle bit was slack at first, and the spring underneath kept dropping off, so the shutter wouldn’t fire. You have to wind the peg up, then screw it in!

I ended up with three leftover screws, but that seems to happen with every DIY project I do.

Ta-da! I’ve put a roll of 35mm in it, I’ll take some shots and post them up soon 🙂